When it is time for your braces to be removed at Crescent Orthodontics in South Lyon, MI, the next step is a retainer! Retainers are used to hold the teeth in their beautiful new positions.
Removable retainers are very easy to use and care for and make brushing and flossing easier and more comfortable. Retainer wear schedules vary from individual to individual, but generally there is a fulltime wear period (retainers are removed only for eating or brushing) followed by INDEFINITE night wear to maintain results and prevent shifting.
What to expect?
1. At your braces removal appointment, Dr. Reynolds will remove all the brackets, wires and thoroughly remove all the bonding material from your teeth. Impressions will be taken in order to make your custom retainers. You will leave the appointment with your new retainers to make sure you keep your gorgeous new smile perfect for years to come!
2. Things may be a little sensitive at first and Dr. Reynolds stresses excellent brushing and flossing to maintain a healthy smile.
3. It may take a few days to get completely used to your retainers, and Dr. Reynolds recommends practicing speaking, reading aloud or singing as much as you can. Before you know it, you will not even notice them!
4. Have a set routine for removing them when eating and brushing and make SURE you place your retainers in your case to prevent them from being lost or damaged. Remember “They should either be in your FACE or in your CASE! ”
5. Should you lose or break your retainers, call Dr. Reynolds at Crescent Orthodontics immediately for a replacement to prevent any shifting.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Reynolds and her amazing team at 248.437.3377.