Are you an adult considering orthodontia to straighten your teeth but are afraid of an adolescent-looking mouth full of metal? At Crescent Orthodontics in South Lyon, MI, we customize a personal plan of teeth-straightening care that best fits your orthodontic treatment goals and your cosmetic concerns. Advancements in orthodontic care technology such as Invisalign or other types of clear braces may be the right course of treatment for you.
But, which form of treatment is more effective? The answer is subjective, as is the needs and tastes of every individual patient at Crescent Orthodontics. Here are some differences between the treatment plans of traditional braces and Invisalign that you should know about:
- Traditional braces are not removable by the patient. This type of teeth-straightening braces consist of brackets and wires that are fixed onto your teeth and worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Because they are not removable, patients using this treatment plan must take the proper precautions necessary (such as avoiding certain foods that or playing rough in contact sports).
- Invisalign is removable and essentially invisible to the human eye. Invisalign is a clear plastic tray that fits over your teeth. They should be worn at least 22 hours a day and may be taken out during the day for eating, brushing your teeth, and flossing. A removable appliance, however, requires extra care to ensure that they stay clean and hygienic.
- Traditional braces are made of metal brackets and wires. They provide stability and are very predictable and effective at straightening teeth as they cannot be removed and work full time.
- Invisalign is made of a strong, medical-grade, thermoplastic material. The Invisalign trays are fitted snugly around your teeth. They are clear and removable, so they are very esthetic. They cause less discomfort but might not be as effective as traditional braces in treating certain types of cases.
- Traditional braces can sometimes be less be less costly than Invisalign. It is difficult to state definitively whether traditional braces or Invisalign costs more than the other. The price of both treatments depends on the individual patient’s needs. The amount of work needed, the length of the treatment, your insurance coverage, and the course of treatment worked out with Crescent Orthodontics all factor into the price of your treatment.
- Traditional braces are still the most common patient choice for orthodontic treatment.
- Invisalign clear aligners are removable, lighter, and more convenient to wear during day-to-day activities.
Trust Crescent Orthodontics to help you choose the right course of treatment for your individual needs and lifestyle, whether that is Invisalign or adult braces in South Lyon, MI. Dr. Reynolds and her awesome team will help you choose the right orthodontic treatment for you. Visit our website, or contact us at 248.437.3377 to schedule your free consultation with Dr. Ashley Reynolds today.