Dr. Ashley Reynolds of Crescent Orthodontics works every day with patients who are looking to fix their crooked teeth (malocclusions) and other orthodontic issues. An orthodontist is a dentist that has received special education and training after graduating from dental school. They deal mainly with the diagnosis, prevention, and correction of the malposition of teeth and jaws. The professionals of Crescent Orthodontics near Novi, MI can help you better understand the benefits of orthodontic treatment for crooked teeth.
A typical consultation with the professional orthodontics practitioners at Crescent Orthodontics may include:
- An analysis and diagnosis of each patient’s unique needs and outcome expectations.
- A report on the issues presented by the patient and a discussion with the doctor about treatment options.
- A treatment plan designed to correct the problems presented and to provide for the ongoing oral health of the patient.
- A strategy of treatment that is affordable, comfortable, and convenient to the patient while ensuring a maximal treatment outcome.
- A preliminary schedule to start treatment.
Dr. Ashley Reynolds will assess the current state of your teeth and diagnose if a patient can benefit from orthodontic treatment. Crescent Orthodontics will perform a full medical and dental health history review, take X-rays of your teeth and jaw, do a clinical examination, and cast a plaster model of your teeth to determine the most effective treatment options in each case. Many orthodontists offer an initial consultation where these services will be provided free of charge.
A malocclusion refers to crooked or misaligned teeth and is a flaw in the relationship between the bottom and top dental arches.Some examples of malocclusions include crossbite, overbite, underbite, open bite, reverse bite, asymmetrical teeth, and impacted teeth. Three orthodontic techniques doctors use to treat malocclusions include:
- Fixed Appliances Fixed appliances are used in cases of malocclusion where precision is key. Appliances that are regularly used are braces, fixed space maintainers, or specially made fixed appliances. Although patients usually can eat normally with these appliances, Dr. Ashley Reynolds advises patients near Novi, MI to avoid some foods and drinks that may damage their appliance (candy, gum, soda).
- Removable Appliances Crescent Orthodontics use, in some treatments, removable appliances like retainers, lip or cheek bumpers, splints, aligners (like Invisalign), palatal expanders and headgear. Removable appliances can be taken out of the patient’s mouth at any time, unlike fixed appliances. However, they should only be taken out when cleaning, eating, flossing, or if the doctor recommends that they be removed for activities like sports or playing an instrument.
- Orthognathic Surgery Also referred to as “corrective jaw surgery,” orthognathic surgery is used to correct conditions of the face and jaw; problems that cannot be easily treated with braces. These conditions may be related to other issues like sleep apnea, malocclusions, jaw or teeth-growth problems, or issues in the structure or function of the jaw. This surgical process involves realigning the bones of the jaw and then keeping them held in place with plates or screws.
Dr. Ashley Reynolds and the team at Crescent Orthodontics near Novi, MI can answer any questions you might have about correcting your crooked teeth, brightening your smile, or for any orthodontic treatment you might be considering.
To find out how you can get the healthy, beautiful smile that you deserve, schedule a consultation appointment with Dr. Ashley Reynolds and the team at Crescent Orthodontics near Novi, MI. Call: (248)-437-3377